For our bedroom ceiling, I thought I’d pick up a can of the colour-changing paint from Rona to see if it would make the tedious task of painting a ceiling any easier. I’d never used it before, but the idea seemed helpful.
Note: this isn’t a paid review. Just a product I used and decided to share my thoughts on in case it might help out someone else in the future. :)
I think the can was about $27, so definitely not too bad! There weren’t any other finish options, but I was fine with flat.
I made a mistake in that I didn’t get the can shook at the store, so when I got home, it seemed as though all of the pink colouring was on the top. I mixed it as good as I could considering it was really full and hard to not splash over the edges, but it seemed to separate again after a few minutes. It didn’t seem to make a difference as to its performance though. I ended up having to get a second can and got that one shook at the store and had no problems with the colour separating.
I was a little underwhelmed with the first few brushes of paint. The pink was so incredibly faint, and despite what it looks like in this picture, it wasn’t too much easier to notice on my ceiling than regular paint. I did one coat of the entire room’s edge work and wasn’t that impressed.
But then when the paint dried and turned white, it became incredibly obvious that the ceiling wasn’t white to begin with, but beige! During painting the second coat of edge work, the pink stood out a lot more (though I’d still say it’s a much more very light purple-y lilac colour than pink) and the difference was a lot more noticeable. This made it a lot easier to tell where I’d already painted.
I ended up doing two coats of paint (this picture is the second coat). The can said it covers well, but I wasn’t too impressed with the coverage. Perhaps this is because I’m a Benjamin Moore Aura paint snob though, haha. There were a few small scuffs on the ceiling that I hadn’t bothered to use primer over, and it took a solid 4-5 times of going over before they were hidden. I did end up priming the patched part of the ceiling, but it probably could have used a third coat.
And it’s done!