Last week I spent a lot of time doing the finishing touches on our master bedroom. The biggest main task that was left to do was getting the ceiling ready – patching the hole left from where the old ceiling light had been.
Since the ceiling light hole was fairly large, we couldn’t simply patch and putty it.
(can you tell Mike took this picture instead of me? haha)
The proper way to fix it meant we had to find out where the studs were nearest to the hole and cut the hole into a rectangular shape that reached to the studs. It took a long time to find the studs, since they’re apparently a lot further apart than the standard 16 inches in our roof.
Once we had our hole, we measured and cut our drywall so that it would fit in our new larger hole. We used the same depth of drywall as was already up there, but because A: the old drywall sagged quite a bit in the middle and B: when we cut the hole we saw that there was about 1/8″ (or slightly more) putty on the ceiling, we ended up having to do a TON of puttying to make it the new drywall be flat with the ceiling.
I mudded and taped the edge around the drywall, and then did layer upon layer of putty and sanding. I think I did six layers altogether, and since each layer was quite thick, it took pretty much a full day for it to dry. My routine was that I’d putty it in the morning, wait til the next day and then sand and putty again in the morning.