One of my most favourite Christmas gifts from Mike this year was a cross-stitch iPhone case that I’d been eyeing. I’ve been slowly working on it for the past few weeks and finally finished it this weekend!
I love how it turned out! But it took a lot of work to get to this point. The case didn’t come with a pattern, and only three colours of embroidery thread. Thankfully, I had my childhood container of thread (seriously, that thread is probably 20 years old), as well as a bag that I ended up with from my great-grandma after she passed.
I ended up using 8 colours:
- as well as an unlabelled yellow
Since the case didn’t come with any patterns, I was able to make my own design! I decided to make a Navajo pattern of arrows and diamonds. At first I ended up just drawing it out on paper, but it took too long and didn’t leave a lot of room for error.
I know, I’m a little overambitious, but I ended up opened Illustrator and made my own template for the case before starting to lay out a pattern. It made things so much easier!
Once I had my pattern made, it was just a whole lot of hours of cross-stitching. The top and bottom of the pattern were really complex and took a long time because I had to change colours often.
Aaaand making the very last stitch! So satisfying, but a little bit sad to be done with it.